Benefits of Volunteering
Most DVAP clients need an attorney to file a suit and represent them in court. Cases include both simple and complex child custody and divorce matters, adoptions, child support, and visitation matters; guardianship cases; consumer law cases involving car and home purchase and repair issues; landlord-tenant matters; wills and probate cases, bankruptcies, and expunctions and non-disclosures. Some of the benefits include:
- Get training in various areas of law, including family, consumer, housing, wills and probate, landlord-tenant, and expunctions and non-disclosures.
- Be mentored by DVAP mentor/staff attorneys and volunteers. Mentors are available in all types of cases DVAP handles.
- Develop your trial advocacy skills.
- Sharpen your client interviewing skills.
- Legal malpractice insurance coverage on DVAP cases.
- Give back doing only what lawyers can do – provide legal help to those in need.
Interested in volunteering? Contact Chris Reed-Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org or 214-243-2243.