BENEFITS OF VOLUNTEERING
Many DVAP clients need an attorney to file a lawsuit and represent them in court. Cases include both simple and complex child custody and divorce matters, adoptions, child support, and visitation matters; guardianship cases; consumer law cases involving car and home purchase and repair issues; landlord-tenant matters; wills and probate cases; bankruptcies; and expunctions and non-disclosures.
Some of the benefits include:
- Training in various areas of law, including family, consumer, housing, wills and probate, landlord-tenant, and expunctions and non-disclosures.
- Mentoring by DVAP mentor/staff attorneys and volunteers. Mentors are available in all types of cases DVAP handles.
- Developing your trial advocacy skills.
- Sharpening your client interviewing skills.
- Legal malpractice insurance coverage provided on DVAP cases.
- Obtain "billable hours for your soul" by providing legal help to those in need.
*Numbers from 2022.